25 October 2011
The Football Association has launched an investigation into allegations that Chelsea’s John Terry – the captain of England – used a racially abusive term towards QPR’s Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat to QPR at the weekend.
A video clip shot during the match gives the impression that Terry said ‘fucking black cunt’ during the game, although the context of the words is fiercely contested.
Terry does not deny he used such a phrase but has indicated he was using it to impress upon Ferdinand that he was not calling him such a name.
As Terry himself explained on Sunday: “I’m disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand.
“I thought Anton was accusing me of using a racist slur against him. I responded aggressively, saying that I never used that term. I would never say such a thing and I’m saddened that people would think so.”
Sportingintelligence has been told that Ferdinand was not actually aware of the remark as it happened during the game, and hence made no immediate complaint about it. This is consistent with Terry saying no complaint was made in the immediate aftermath of the match.
The FA’s investigation is likely to consider video evidence, statements from those on the pitch who may have heard anything, and the views of both Terry and Ferdinand.
The FA said in a statement: “The FA can confirm it has received a complaint relating to an alleged incident of racist abuse in the QPR versus Chelsea fixture at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011.
“The FA will now begin to make enquiries into this matter. The FA takes seriously any allegations of discrimination and abuse of this type.
“No further comment will be issued at this time.”
Terry reacted by saying: “I welcome the FA enquiry and look forward to clearing my name as soon as possible. Until then I have no further comment.”
Chelsea’s manager Andre Villas-Boas had earlier said: “We fully back John. He spoke to Anton after the game. For us it was end of story. It’s just a big misunderstanding and something blown out of proportion.”
A statement on QPR’s website said: “The Club is aware of an alleged racist incident in Sunday’s Barclays Premier League fixture between QPR and Chelsea at Loftus Road. The Football Association are now expected to conduct enquiries into the alleged incident.”
QPR’s chairman, Tony Fernandes, said: “Queens Park Rangers Football Club does not condone racism in any way, shape or form.
“As a club, we will provide our players with our unequivocal support when alleged incidents like this occur.
“The club has, and will continue to support Kick It Out’s One Game, One Community initiative, football’s equality and inclusion campaign.”
A local police investigation is also underway into the incident.
Sportingintelligence home page